Thursday, May 2, 2013

First Pastel Still Life!


The last project for my drawing class last quarter was this color still life. I have to say, it was quite a challenge. I had only used pastel once before, but not in the way that I used it in this piece. One of the restrictions was that we had to stick to the primary colors and mix the rest. We could only use other colors at the very end if we couldn't manage to mix a certain color with the primaries. If you've used paint before, you may think no problem! However, mixing pastels is nothing like mixing paint. Rather than pre-mixing colors on palette and then applying them, with pastels, you are mixing the colors right on the paper. You also have to pay attention to the order that you layer the colors. If you don't get it right and add too many layers, then the colors get all muddy. I feel like I managed to pull it off pretty well, but it took a lot of work to figure out what I was doing. The only thing I am not as happy with in this piece is the cloth. I definitely didn't capture the folds quite right, and in my opinion it looks a bit flat. Something to improve on for next time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment