Monday, May 20, 2013

Color Theory Using Cut Paper

For this color theory project, I had to pick a photo and recreate certain sections of it in several different ways. One section had to be grayscale, another had to be monochromatic, another had to be a complementary color scheme, and another section had to match the actual colors as close as possible. All of it had to be done with Color-Aid paper, which means that each section is a puzzle of little pieces of cut paper. Like the optical mixing project I posted before, cut paper gives great results, but the process is much too frustrating and tedious for me to enjoy.



3 comments:

  1. Thats pretty cool Erin, It makes me want to try something like it, and I liked that you picked such a colorful image. Pretty Aweeesommee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful!! I found you by searching for 'cutting color aid paper'.

    I love color aid paper and did a similar exercise long ago in Art School. My question is how did you cut the paper to get such intricate and complicated shapes? X-Acto is not as fluid as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed this peice :)

      I wish there was an easier way, but I actually did the entire thing with an X-Acto knife. Having a sharp, fresh point was really important, but other than that I don't have any fancy secrets haha. One thing I did do was trace the shape I needed on the color aid paper first so I had a clear outline to follow. The rest was just lots of time and hand cramps!

      Delete