Friday, May 17, 2013

Color Theory - Optical Mixing

In my color theory class last quarter, one of the assignments was an optical mixing project. This means putting very small dots or hatches of different colors very close together so that the eye blends them and you see a completely different color.

Because the focus of this project was on optical mixing, I didn't have to create my own image. Instead, we were allowed to use an existing image that had interesting colors. I chose to recreate a postcard for one of my favorite graphic novels, reMind. It's a fantastic story written and illustrated by Jason Brubaker. You can read the entire story online here: www.remindblog.com and you can buy both volumes of reMind on Amazon.

So here's is the finished product! I have to say that optical mixing looks pretty awesome, but I really don't like the process. It's much too tedious and scientific for me to enjoy.


Here are some process pictures to show how I built up the colors:






1 comment:

  1. Remember when we went to the Museum and talked about how tedious those little dots in the really beautiful painting we saw? Look at you being all pro!

    ReplyDelete